Saturday, May 24, 2008

Shôryûken'd...

Sometimes life gives you a present.

Sometimes life asks you to try harder.

Sometimes life just shôryûkens you in the face !

You see, I've become quite confident in that perfect pitch shit. I've been practicing for quite some time now and I'm glad to say that YOU CAN GET PERFECT PITCH EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T BORN WITH IT !
For Christ's sake.

So right now I'm able to recognize the white notes on a keyboard (= C major scale) on 3 octaves with, like, 99% accuracy. For someone who's supposed not to be able to acquire it, that's not bad. I still have some troubles when I add the black notes of the keyboard, but I'm sure I'll be able to achieve a 12-tones perfect pitch.

Today I went to some friend's place and there was this Japanese girl that I knew had born-perfect pitch, but I've never had witnessed before.
So we're sitting about to eat, we start talking about perfect pitch, how we hear the tones (like, the tone I recognize the most easily is B, because it sounds like you're about to stumble onto C) and my friend just tries to tease her, so he strikes his half-full glass of water with his chopsticks and asks "what tone is this ?".

She makes him strike again, and says : "it's a F". She then turns to the piano behind her and hits the F key.

IT WAS A FUCKING F !!! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD !!!

You see, my point as a guitar teacher is to tell my pupils they shouldn't blame the gear, right ? It's not the fingers size, it's not the cables, it's not the strings. It's supposed to be your effort, right ? right ?

I mean, if there is something we've learned from Japanese anime, it's that with effort we can overcome anything and anyone, right ?

But Mother Nature just harshly shôryûken'd my face today. Not that I'm about to quit or anything, but I feel like 1/3 of my life gauge has been taken away...

4 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I have to admit man, that was a HUGE shoryuken in the face. You may have actually suffered more egotistical damage than physical though. 1/3 of your life bar is a pretty big deal, but what you wrote here sounds like getting beat at a fighting game by the 12-year-old girl. Not that that's ever happened to me or anything...

3:29 AM  
Blogger taradostodos said...

That reminds me of a teacher of mine ( a drummer...) who once told us he had perfect pitch. A fellow student did not believed him, and started asking him the pitch of several things, like a fan, a knock on the door, his voice, the ambulance that passed by...

That was an amazing moment.

Nonetheless, a strong relative pitch more useful than a perfect one (IMO).

10:15 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Hey, so I found your blog while looking for guitar stuff and found your postings regarding perfect pitch. I was born with perfect pitch, or was I? I don't know. All I know is that when I was really little my dad put me in front of a keyboard and showed me where A was, and I played A over and over and remembered it. So now I'm a great fucking musician. Is that all it takes? I don't know. All I know is I had a hell of a time in high school choir. Oh man, one day someone farted and I told the piano player it was an E sliding up to a G and he played it and it sounded just fucking like it and everyone roared. Yeah, so perfect pitch sucks, don't get it.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Robert Patrick said...

@adrian : that comment made my day ! ;-D

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home